Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Kolhapuri Masala

For long I have been wanting to make my own garam masala as every weekend I prepare chicken dishes so wanted to use my own. But when I hit upon a Kolhapuri Chicken recipe which uses Kolhapuri Masala, I set off to prepare the same. To my utter disbelief, this used more spices than used in garam masala, so it ought to be tasting different. But yes, can be used as garam masala in curries, and that's exactly what I'm going to do until I prepare my own garam masala.

 
Ingredients:
(use all ingredients according to the amount of masala you need to prepare. I took a tsp. of each and got a lot of powdered masala.)

Coriander seeds
Cumin seeds
Fenugreek seeds
Sesame seeds
Fennel seeds
Poppy seeds
Shahi Jeera (Caraway seeds)
Badi Elaichi
Bay leaves
Mace (Javitri)
Cinnamon
Star Anise
Black Mustard
Cloves
Black Peppercorns
Cardamom (With cover)
Saffron
Asafoetida
Turmeric powder
Jaiphal


  1. Dry roast all the ingredients on medium flame for about 5-6 minutes except asafoetida, saffron and turmeric. 
  2. Let cool and grind to a fine paste. Mix in asafoetida, saffron and turmeric. Store in a airtight container and use as garam masala for Indian curries.











No comments:

Post a Comment

Protected

Protected by Copyscape Web Plagiarism Check